|Accused: Posters have now been put up across the city showing the faces of the|
13 suspects as police have come under fire for their slow response to the incident
AdilanClub:Breaking news, is the best for news
A woman was left helpless in the hands of a mob of men who launched a terrifying attack on her as she left a bar in India.
The late night incident in the city of Guwahati in the north of the country has caused outrage, with people furious at the slow police response.
In the attack, which was captured on film by an off-duty journalist, a group of at least 20 men can be seen running towards the victim before grabbing her hair and pinning her to the ground.
>Link Info : General Issues - Sex Abuse
|Shocking: A video captured the horrific moment a woman in India was|
set upon by a mob of at least 30 men in a city in India
During the horrific ordeal, which reportedly lasted for 30 minutes, she is beaten and stripped.
According to India Today the police have come under fire for taking 45 minutes to respond, despite the station being less than a mile away.
A total of six men have so far been arrested in connection with the incident but the police are under increasing pressure to catch the remaining seven suspects.
Posters have gone up across the city and in an attempt to calm public anger the Chief Minister for the Assam region Tarun Gogoi yesterday issued state police with a 48-hour deadline to arrest the remaining suspects.
Some of the videos on YouTube show the identities of the men in a bid to catch the culprits.
According to India Today, the reporter who shot the footage Mukul Kalita said he had tried to assist the girl. He said: 'I got into the crowd, when she saw me, she shouted out for help.
'The people in the mob asked me why I was trying to save her. I called the police and they told me they knew about the incident and that they were on the way.'
Two people - Diganta Basumatary and Navajyoti Deka - have reportedly been arrested today.
Earlier in the week Amarjyoti Kalita, Dhanonjoy Basfor and Bulbul Das were taken in by officers, the identify of the sixth man is yet to be released.
Prime accused Amarjyoti Kalita, however, is still at large.
Sub-inspector Subhan Baruah of Dispur police station has been suspended and a special task force has been set up to investigate the incident.
|In the frame: Prime suspect Amarjyoti Kalita, is one of the |
13 men who have been accused. Police say he is still at large
A three-member team from National Commission for Women (NWC) has arrived in Guwahati to probe the incident.
Alka Lamba of the NWC said she was shocked by what she found.
'There are signs of cigarette burns are all over her body besides marks of severe injury ... Animal like treatment was meted out to the hapless girl,' she said.
However, Lamba said the girl was safe and had been medically examined after the incident.
'The need of the hour is to provide her good counselling so that she can resume her normal life, Lamba said and demanded a special court to punish the culprits,' she added.
India has one of the worst women's rights reputations among developing countries and this is the latest in a string of horrific attacks on women.
Last month a father was shown parading his daughter's head around his village in what was described as a so-called honour killing.
The incident, which occurred on July 10, came to light after the video of the attack went viral on the Internet.
VIDEO: See parts of the horrific attack and hear reaction from lawmakers in India...